Monday, December 06, 2010

Grey Cup

This year Edmonton hosted the 98th Grey Cup. To celebrate the big game the downtown of Edmonton was transformed and for once was really fun. The 'Festival' around the game officially kicked off on a Wednesday and I took every chance I could to celebrate the Riders being in the big game.

The downtown kickoff party
 Rider superfan "The Flame" and fireworks erupting out of city hall.
When the politicians got up to the podium to speak I decided to take a walk. Directly behind and completely unbeknown to the masses assembled the Grey Cup was just sitting there waiting to make it's entrance.
 The Grey Cup organizing crew did a fantastic job of creating a football themed festival complete with multiple displays and interactive football activities. I of course loved the Rider displays.
 Christina actually has pretty good form (for a girl). Her delivery is so quick the camera can barely pick it up.
One of the biggest attractions was the Capital Power zipline. I never went myself, mostly just because I'm too impatient to wait in line. My co-worker Jeff is enjoying the ride in the right picture.
I really liked this sign-post centered in our downtown. I, in all seriousness think they should have kept it as a permanent sign.
When tickets went on sale for the Grey Cup months ago I weighed whether not it was worth buying tickets. I really wanted to go but was seriously strapped for cash at the time, and then they sold out. When the Riders actually made the big game ticket prices from websites went through the roof. I pretty much wrote off being able to go to the game. Then when I was walking around checking out the sites on Saturday Daniel phoned and said he had a couple of extra tickets. I jumped at the opportunity and went into a self-imposed exile to make sure I was in good shape for the game.

Gameday prep. To ensure that I would stay warm for the outdoor game I got suited up in my Rider gear and increased my fried chicken intake at KFC.
The magical ticket from Daniel. He got it free from work. Needless to say Daniel's boss is cool.
 We had pretty stellar seats. Nine rows back around the 10 yard line wear the teams were introduced.
 The mighty Rider offense.
 Old man Calvillo is unstoppable.
 Looking to inspire the fans and the Riders this idiot de-robed and tried to get a cheer going.
 As you can see the dude above had more bravery than brains as it was freezing outside. Daniel, Christina and I were getting pretty chilled in our seats. Somehow cold beer didn't warm us up. Weird.
Even though the Riders lost the game 21-18 to the Alouettes it was a great week of celebration and football. Thanks again to Daniel for the tickets to the game - I owe you a kidney or something...

More pictures Click Here.

No comments: