Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Maui - April 2013 - Waterlogged

My long overdue posts (#2 of 3) of the adventures of Stu, Chrissy, Rob & Carryn in Maui.

While I love hanging out at lakes, casting from a boat, canoeing down streams, and being near the ocean I wouldn't characterise myself as a 'water guy'...as in I don't swim well, or enjoy water sports. That and my general hyperactivity and inability to sit still at a beach had Chrissy and I unsure just how well I would do on an island.

While some days were packed full of stuff to do, other days we just lounged around beach hopping.
Usually, a beach day would consist of Rob and Carryn snorkeling (Chrissy and I would sometimes join), a short walk, a beverage, some boogie boarding, switch beaches, another beverage, a fish taco and then the guys doing more boogie boarding while the girls sat in the sun watching for whale spouts and admiring the surfer dudes.







Christina at the Dragons Teeth near Kapalua





Windsurfing at Ho'okipa Beach Park
Crashing Waves at D.T Fleming Beach Park
During our beach hopping we made it South to Big Beach:  3,000 feet wide with fine white sand regarded as one of the best and most picturesque beaches on Maui. We were soon to learn that it's also known for big erratic breakers.

As soon as we arrived and staked our spot on the beach Chrissy grabbed a boogie board and headed for the water.

She got a few rides in on some nice waves when the big breakers started to hit. She took a few tumbles but continued getting back on the board.  I was pretty impressed and entertained so I started videoing her rides. And right at that point a huge wave came in. She got up on the crest, rode it for a second and then took a header into the sand. Thankfully, she ended up rolling off her shoulders and wasn't seriously hurt. As she stood up though she left some of her modesty behind - her bathing suit top had slipped to her waist. It only took a second as she noticed the look on the man beside her and pulled up her top. With another wave coming crashing in on her she turned around and attempted to ride it out by sitting on it. It was pure comedy gold.

Unfortunately I am banned from showing the video to anyone. But as a sample, the picture below displays how I will imagine for all time my beloved defending herself from waves (note Carryn's graceful stride into the water as a counterpoint).


Like I mentioned she ended up from the ordeal sore and without major injuries. Christina was lucky. The next day at Big Beach a teenager ended up breaking his neck from a bad spill. Later in the week when Chrissy went to get a massage to alleviate the pain of her water beatings the masseuse confirmed his suspicion: While pressing down on a knot in her back "Big Beach?" Christina, "Yup".

Everyday on the island was it's own unique day with the water being murky, calm or rough. The only constant was by the end of the day it would be nice and settled. Almost every night on the island the four of us would watch the sunset together, usually from Kamaole Beach III. While none of the sunsets were the spectacular type found on postcards they were all quite stunning.
Rob and Carryn - Lovebirds





My beach experience turned out pretty great but I think the majority of the positive experience is a reflection of the company I shared.

No comments: